Saturday 28 April 2012

Review: Destined by Aprilynne Pike

For those of you who haven't read this series yet, (a) you should have, (b) don't let the whole 11+ thing put you off, because simpler writing has its benefits, and (c) this is the last one in the series, so you might not wanna look at this review. Sorry.
 We all know what we're waiting for in this book: Laurel to make her choice between David and Tamani. But all sorts of other stuff is going on too -- they've finally determined Yuki's caste and gotten her caught, but Klea's still out there, and the both of them bode seriously ill for the whole of Avalon. Can Laurel, Chelsea, David and Tamani (with the help of Shar and Jamison) save the world from Klea's tyranny... and save themselves?

 Ohmigosh, ohmigosh, ohmigosh... this is epic and beautiful. This is the way to end a series. I'm not joking. There's one shock-horror bit where I was sitting there thinking 'no. No' -- you'll know the bit when you get to it -- and it was brilliant. And then, at the very end... it was proper clever, I can tell you that. I didn't have a clue what Laurel was gonna do, but it turned out to be super super awesome. Also, of course, there was her choice. If you're a fan of the same guy as me, then you will absolutely love it, just like I did, and if you're not, the 'last word' is almost as awesome as the ending, though a little bittersweet.
 There's just one bit I didn't like, and that's Yuki's gift to Tamani. I didn't think it quite fitted -- I mean, how did she know they would need it, and why was it so important to both her and Tam?
 Anyway... I loved this, as you can probably tell, so I'm giving it five stars.
 Plant chick out!

No comments:

Post a Comment