Friday 22 March 2013

Book Review: Poison Princess by Kresley Cole

( For those of you crazy folks who actually follow all my posts, yes, I have hit pause on the Les Mis reading. More on that later, hopefully.)
 Evie thought she had a lot on her plate with staying out of the teen asylum -- thanks to her mum and her visions. She was wrong, of course. Her visions came true in a shocking, apocalyptic flash, and now she's fighting for her life. Add a bad boy to the mix, and what do you get? Tarot cards.
 From my lovely little synopsy-watsit, I'm sure you get my feels for the whole 'Tarot' malarkey. I mean, really? It would be fine on its own, and I was certainly able to reconcile myself to the crazy, but with the apocalypse, it's just a bit much to ask. I got over it, I'm used to ridiculous stroy lines, I write them myself, but still. Really?
 Furthermore, Evie's character, especially at the beginning and the end, is a little... let's say hazy. She is weirdly certain that she's everyone's best friend, even though her inner monologue isn't particularly kind to others and her actions later on aren't always too nice either. Speaking of which, the end. Trying not to give too many spoilers away, this is what happens:
"No! I have morals! Lots and lots of morals!"
*thinks for a couple of days*
"Hahahaha! Being evil is fun!"

As for Jackson... well, it's easy to fall for a foreign-language-speaking bad boy, isn't it? I feel almost cheated.

On the good side is the story, if you ignore all the above. It's fast-paced, interesting, and there are zombie things FOR GOODNESSAKE NOT AGAIN! I don't like zombies/chuckies/bagmen!

It's a good book. The next looks definitely definitely worth a read, from how this one finished. But it's close to being a mental shrug of a book. Impossibly close.

So it gets a generous four stars.

Charlie out!

No comments:

Post a Comment