Monday 21 January 2013

Research

So, I sat down to write the next part of a part of a short story at the weekend. And then I went, wait a second.

Digression: it is snowing right now and I'm off school! Happy Face! :) (in case you didn't know what one was)

I digress. Anyway, I thought: wait a blimming flip of a second [I may be embellishing a little]! I don't know anything about lawyers [the next bit involves lawyers -- spoilers, sweeties], apart from what I've seen on Drop Dead Diva and Ally McBeal [I got series one for Christmas from my mum, who thinks it fits my weirdness level]. How can I write about them talking to my main character when I don't know if they'd even be allowed to talk to my main character, or if they'd want to, or how long the process would take, or ANYTHING?

SO my question to you, lovely people of the world, is how far can you or do you go with 'creative license'?
 Do I just go with what I was going to write, whether that's how the legal system works? Or do I spend hours combing the internet for knowledge when I don't even know what to ask it?

My other question -- request, rather -- is that, if you happen to be an expert in the field, or if you know whether lawyers are allowed to talk to witnesses of car accidents, and when they can talk to them, and what they can talk to them about, and which side of the court hearing or whatever the ones who'd want to talk would be on, then please comment! Please!

Writer out!

No comments:

Post a Comment