Saturday 17 September 2011

Death Bringer (Skulduggery Pleasant) by Derek Landy

The blurb doesn't do this one justice, so I'll just make my own up : 'Lord Vile is still on the loose. Melancholia is proclaimed the Death Bringer. Madness ensues as Skulduggery and Valkyrie try to sort everything out. Nothing is as it seems.'

 I know what you're thinking -- I mean, duh, I'm a mind reader -- you're wondering why I'm reviewing a '9 years and over' book. Know what I'm thinking? Of course you don't, I'm wearing my foil hat. I'm thinking, you've done your homework, non-existent but devoted fan. You've done your homework indeed.
 Okay, so it's a kid's book. It doesn't make it less awesome. A living, talking, breathing skeleton detective and his 16 year old assisstant might sound childish, but you haven't read it yet. You haven't got the amazing humour. And I won't give you an example. This book has to be read to be understood and loved by all ages. So read it. Although you might want to by the first... what five? However many there are, Derek Landy's writing just gets better with age, and I can't wait for the next installment!
Five stars for poor Scapegrace and the loss of his lovable zombie head.
Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment